Friday, October 23, 2009

If only I was German, I could blame my parents for everything!

People, this may come as a shock to you, but my legal name isn't Angus; its Kevin.

And in Germany, Kevin apparently is a "non-traditional" name.

And in Germany, kids with non-traditional names are stereotyped as dumb and troublemakers by their schoolteachers!

I especially appreciated this line from the article:

The name Kevin was perceived as being linked to especially poor behaviour and performance, with one study participant even writing that, “Kevin is not a name – it’s a diagnosis!”



Hat tip to Freakonomics via TCap.

2 comments:

Aaron Aardvark said...

it's ok if you were first born in Brazil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kuranyi

Kunal said...

People, this may come as a shock to you, but my legal name isn't Angus; its Kevin.

You've said it before, but it still shocks us deeply every time we hear.