Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Funky Cold Medina

I am back from a doubleheader family visit (mine in Michigan and a bunch of Mrs. Angus' in Ohio). Our last stop was Medina Ohio where I never tired of asking "Where's Tone Loc?" However, in a case of karmic justice, a very very bad thing happened to me there. Mrs. Angus asked her 88 year old grandfather (who downloads and listens to Econtalk podcasts by the way) what kind of movies he liked. "Musicals" he said. After I ran out of breath singing a few bars of "Surrey with the fringe on top" at the top of my lungs, I found myself in a local multiplex with the two of them watching (though I mostly had my eyes closed) Mamma Mia!

Holy Crap people. It will be months before I will have any testosterone back flowing through my body. The singing is bad. The dancing worse. The acting still worse. The camera work worser still. I am serious. Here you can check an actual professional review by the best movie reviewer in the world if you don't believe me.

If you told me this was a vanity project by Meryl Streep who had personally paid all the production and distribution costs and then was committed to an asylum immediately after its filming, I would easily believe you. That and she had some kind of photos of Pierce Brosnan with several goats that she used to convince him to humiliate himself the way he did in this film.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

has any former bond ever done anything as embarrassing?

Will Welch said...

Roger Moore was in some horrible movie with Horatio Sanz and Cuba Gooding, Jr. where he played a lecherous old man on a cruise, constantly hitting on Sanz. That said, I haven't seen "Mama Mia," so I can't speak to the relative level of embarrassment.

Angus said...

Funny you should ask. The worst Bond ever, George Lazenby, married Pam Shriver. That is actually worse. Brosnan got paid at least.

Shawn said...

since i've quit my job, in preparation for school, i've got free time.

I'll be watching lazenby as bond tomorrow. rumor has it he wasn't so bad. jury will report back.

Justin M Ross said...

In case you don't know...

Meh-Dine-ah!

Signed,
Can't take a joke.

PeeDub said...

After I ran out of breath singing a few bars of "Surrey with the fringe on top" at the top of my lungs, I found myself in a local multiplex with the two of them watching (though I mostly had my eyes closed) Mamma Mia!

It could have been worse. Was it in front of Ira??